Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Baby Smith Update!


We had an amniocentesis done on December 7th because the results of the baby's nuchal lucency screen were questionnable. (They were in the normal range, but not by much.) The amnio was a little scary and somewhat painful, but NOTHING compared to labor. Both the baby and I came through it well and we had no complications at all. We finally got the official results back this morning and all is well. We also found out that we are having a baby girl! Jonathan isn't too thrilled about the prospect of a sister, but I'm sure he'll get over it.
We have tentatively picked a name--Alaena Jeanette--but we haven't made the official call yet. We are a little disappointed that we couldn't come up with a "J" name, but we felt that it was more important to give her a name we like instead. Jeff isn't too sure about the spelling of Alaena because he says she'll always have to be telling people how to spell it. I can understand why he might feel that way because he rarely has to spell his name for anyone, but I don't have much sympathy for him because most everyone I know has to spell at least their first or last name. Heck, I used to have to spell my maiden name constantly because it is so uncommon where I grew up and that there are about 100 different spellings of it to begin with. So I think my spelling of "Alaena" may just win out...
We'll keep you updated if anything major happens between now and her due date (May 23rd). Thanks for sharing in our exciting news with us!

No comments: